It is clear that films can bring about all kinds of emotions. They can make you laugh, cry, and suffer, and even give you the strength you need to face your problems. So why not combine all of this into one therapy?
What is film therapy?
The developers of this type of therapy have worked with all kinds of coaches, psychologists, and film experts to create a base that consists of television series and films. However, film therapy does not mean just watching a movie. Many tools were used, such as quotes, comments, posters, and visual analysis.
Films as a psychological tool
Due to various factors, film therapy has been an extremely effective complement to therapy.
- Intensity: scenarios, stories, and characters are presented in a short period of time.
- Learning: Films are allegorical like stories and fables. The film can be used to theorize learning and creativity, and promote the idea of multiple intelligences.
- Identification: Many of you have already been able to identify with a film character. This can be discussed further in therapy.
- Attention: The visual stimulation promotes concentration.
- Social functions: Watching a film with other people and talking about it multiplies its value and functions as an integrative tool in therapy. If the movie is about cars, you can talk about car accessories which can be found at www.carcover.com.
- Duration: The length of a film corresponds to the duration of a therapy session.
Benefits of film therapy
The inventors of film therapy say that it has many benefits for patients who participate in this unique therapy.
- Watching a movie can be revitalizing.
- It motivates. When you watch a movie, you can find characters who will help you find energy in your real life.
- Entertainment. Movies also lead to laughter and happiness. And there is no doubt that they have an immense impact on both mental and physical health.
- Development of creativity. There is no doubt that the different points of view in films can lead to changing your mental schemas, making you more creative, flexible, and innovative.
You can be sure that film is more than just a form of art. And film therapy has raised films to the category of useful psychological tools.